PEACE. LOVE.

Sunday, January 10

Craft time!



I was shopping around for furniture for my new apartment
and I just feel in love with this idea.
It cushioned, comfortable, chic, classy, and will never go out of style.
So, I just had to have it.
Unfortunately it came with a $599 pricetag. Ouch!

So, I decided to make it and it came out exceptionally well!

Supplies:
(quantity depends on bed size. see website above for size specs)
    • sturdy piece of hardwood for headboard
    • extra wood for legs
    • screws/ screwdriver
    • drill
    • foam batting
    • hot glue or carpenters glue
    • leather fabric
    • black buttons
    • wire
    • staple gun w/staples
    • bobby pins
    • a friend
Procedure:  
  1. Figure out the measurements of your soon to be head board 
    • King is approx 62h x 80w inches 
    • Queen is approx 61h x 62w inches square 
    • Twin is approx 51h x 41w inches square
  2. Cut wood to appropriate size and attach legs with screws
    • note: if you want to mount headboard to wall skip legs
  3.  Measure and drill holes through wood where your buttons are going to go
  4. Glue batting to front of wood (foam cushion and batting were too expensive for me, so I used THIS ($17) in queen size, cut it in half, and turned the eggs in on itself)
  5. Drape fabric over headboard and with friend, pull as tightly as you can and staple to the back of the wood (I bought 2 yards of faux leather fabric at JoAnn Fabrics for $16 w/ a 50% off coupon)
  6. Loop wire through button with about 5 inches of extra and poke through fabric and pre-drilled holes
  7. Wrap the excess wire around a bobby pin on the back of the headboard to hold the button in place 
  8. Continue for all buttons. I used 8 evenly spaced buttons.
final product :
I lucked out and got the wood for free. It was left over from a remodel next door. The total cost came to about $50.00 for the buttons, fabric, and foam. I absolutely love it.






1 comment:

  1. WOW!Girl it looks great what a very bright idea I love it I'm going to have to try it because my husband and I just got rid of all of our bedroom stuff.He's in the Army and when we get stationed somewhere were just going to get new stuff but I love this idea..

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete